It’s taken a while to get back into the groove at school this term. All those extra Bank Holidays gave the first couple of weeks a curious end-of-term feel. Stop-start is definitely not helpful for our students, and it gave Theo at home the sense that daddy was mostly around for bouts of wabbadabba (it’s a form of all-in wrestling, with running commentary on the signature moves. He’ll pause, adjust a golden forlock, and announce the flying bomshuffle and the next thing I know he’s mid-air and en route to my windpipe with both feet.) Wabbadabba is also a bit like those fights that Inspector Clouseau and Kato used to have, unannounced, knocking seven bells out of each other and their Parisien apartment, but always with a handshake or bow at the end. At the end we shake hands and say good wabbadabba. It’s also a bit like that movie The Gumball Rally: once the word wabbadabba has been whispered by an eligible player (err, that’s currently me and Theo, but try it out on us sometime, maybe we’ll extend the membership) the other has to respond. Kind of an honour thing. But there I go breaking the first three rules of wabbadabba by talking about it.
Anyway, we got extra time together on that regal Friday too. But I’m not that into the Royals these days, and I didn’t get given a commemorative silver coin at school or a mug, and I didn’t want to get all nostalgic about jubilee street parties in 1977 in colliery towns with my grandparents, although I was wondering if the cameras zoomed in on celebrities like Kevin Keegan or Paul Young arriving at the last one in 1981. And besides, I’m already married to a Kate (fully Katherine Elizabeth) so the vows would’ve been a bit echoey anyway. But vacuums need to be filled, so here’s how we tried to weave God’s word into the everyday that particular morning.
Esther [part 1] from gathering hillmorton on Vimeo.
[So that’s Part 1 in the can. Who knows if we’ll get round to filming the rest. And we’d probably have to skip the Revenge chapter at the end. What’s that all about?]
No comments:
Post a Comment